Python has indeed been a bit of a mess recently for me as well, but I
haven't had any major issues.  Presumably, this could be attributed to
the fact that since python migrations started I have been using the
--changed-deps flag to emerge, which I noticed did help to clean a few
things up during world upgrades.

I suspect the whole situation is due to maintainers trying to quickly
get up to speed Python 3.7 and dropping of Python 2.7 where possible as
Rich mentioned earlier.  So I didn't really pay much attention to it
except for the one or two packages that broke.

On my (stable) systems I find myself having 4 versions of python
present: 2.7, 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8.  However, since the latest bulk move to
3.7 there appears to only be a single package unnecessarily pulling in
both 3.6 and 3.8, and that's "dev-lang/python-exec".  It does seem
rather unnecessary.

I do, however, have a rather large number of packages that are built
with both +python_targets_python3_7 _and_ +python_targets_python2_7.  I
suspect the latter dependency will be cleared out soon.

I haven't had issues with boost though, with 1.72.0-r1 being the only
one installed.  Perhaps "--changed-deps" might be worth trying if you
haven't?

- V