On Mon, 18 May 2020 11:29:43 -0400
Jack <ostrof...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Since you suggest this might be related to multilib, is this the
> configuration for 32 bit or 64 bit?  Assuming you are primarily 64
> bits, which packages have 32 bit versions enabled?  If it is the 32
> bit version failing, can you disable it?

I made a makeshift solution meanwhile by removing the multilib parts in
the ebuild. Without them, everything compiles just fine, and I do get
32bit and 64bit libraries?!
I'm only interested in the 64bit version, actually, as my software
links against these libs.
I didn't enable 32bit for anything explicitely, but the standard flags
for libXp are

USE="-static-libs" ABI_X86="32%* (64%*) (-x32)"

I'm not familiar with the ABI flags (is there any documentation on
that, Google doesn't come up with anything useful for me right now?).
What does the "%" mean, and how would I turn off 32bit completely?

> > This is somehow caused by multilib settings, I guess. Just untar'ing
> > the archive and doing configure/make works fine. It appears as if
> > just the ebuild went unhappy. It looks like this:

> Note the ebuild itself isn't failing, it's the ./configure stage
> failing to find something it needs.  If a manual ./configure
> succeeds, it's using some different settings compared to as run by
> the ebuild.  Check the exact ./configure line being run, and possible
> see if it was run twice in the full build log, once each for 32 bit
> and 64 bits.

There
is
/var/tmp/portage/x11-libs/libXp-1.0.3/work/libXp-1.0.3-abi_x86_32.x86/config.log
(so obviously the 32bit part is causing the trouble) which says the
error is caused by

$PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "x11 >= 1.6 xext xextproto xau
printproto"

However, this must be something 32bit specific. Running
---
pkg-config --exists --print-errors "x11 >= 1.6 xext xextproto xau
printproto"
---
on the commandline works just fine.

cu