On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 08:12:30AM -0400, Frank Tarczynski wrote:
> I'm building a video conference appliance using a Raspberry Pi 4 for my
> parents.
>
> I'm using a RPi 4 that boots from a SD card and an USB webcam/microphone.
>
> Gentoo is the only OS I can find that supports the USB webcam in both
> Firefox and Chromium with no issues.
>
> Getting my parents to understand that they need to shutdown the RPi before
> hitting the power button is a challenge. And I've not been successful at
> finding a case for the RPi 4 with a soft power switch and a fan.

Gentoo seems like a terrible choice for those who are not technically  inclined.
Perhaps an easier solution, for the case of your parents, would  be  to  find  a
simpler and  smaller  O.S.\  and  then  triage/fix  the  webcam  and  microphone
problems.

Aside from the perceived resolution of the webcam and microphone  problems,  are
there any other significant reasons to use Gentoo ?  Especially on  a  Raspberry
Pi, it can be particularly difficult with the proprietary firmware.

--

Ashley Dixon
suugaku.co.uk

2A9A 4117