On 5/29/20 1:20 AM, Ashley Dixon wrote:
On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 04:11:46PM -0400, james wrote:
Pdfs are becoming a challenge to print. I'm sure I'll be printing pdf files
for decades to come.

So what application/strategy gets me past errors like this:

"Cannot mix incompatible Qt library (version 0x50e01) with this library
(version 0x50e02)"

How is your printer connected ?  If it's using  The  Common  Unix  Print  System
(C.U.P.S.) as many do, try the lpr command (from `net-print/cups`).  The  server
on which C.U.P.S.\ is running is specified with the `-H <address>` argument, and
various options can be specified with `-o <key=value>`.

To take the example from the man page of lpr:

         Print a double-sided legal document to a printer called "foo":
         $ lpr -P foo -o media=legal -o sides=two-sided-long-edge filename

If your printer is remote, as mine is (on a server called `genserv`), you can do
the following:

         $ lpr -H genserv -o sides=two-sided-long-edge paper.pdf

works great !

This is not a suggestion that you abandon the issue  of  mismatched  Qt  library
versions, but rather a simple workaround to use while the  various  Qt  programs
get up-to-date with the latest versions of the libraries.

Yea, the QT issues, happen every time the bleeding edge (of qt) releases. Once I get the packages all upgraded, the bleeding edge qt stuff works great (thanks to all the gentooers that work on qt!).....

Providing C.U.P.S.\ is
configured correctly with all the appropriate `ppd` files  for  your  particular
printer model, lpr should work out-of-the-box.

After thumping all teh cups codes, it works again, but some office files from a pc that were originated in europe, cause the print to hickup. The hp printer complained about version 1.... version 2 on the tiny hp display. Rebooted several times and all my linux printing started working again. I have the original hp firmware (10 years old). I do not trust the updated hp firmwares, for several reason....

Thanks Ashley