On Sat, 30 May 2020 18:44:02 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:

> I masked the latest version of plasma-meta, 5.18.5, when it appeared
> last week, because it insisted on installing network-manager, which I
> neither need nor want. Now I'm running an emerge -e @world, and portage
> insists on plasma- meta-5.18.5. (Why?) If I unmask it, network-manager
> insists on wifi ( wext ? Wifi ) even though there's no such hardware on
> this machine.
>
> For the moment I've excluded plasma-meta from the -e @world, which
> seems to be doing the job.

The point of meta packages is that they install a whole set of stuff, in
this case " Merge this to pull in all Plasma 5 packages". If you don't
want the kitchen sink, don't use meta packages. I have a kde set in
/etc/portage/sets that includes just what I want. As a result I have a
decent KDE desktop but without needing networkmanager, or any of the PIM
stuff.

--
Neil Bothwick

Okay, I pulled the pin. Now what? Hey, where are you going?