Howdy,

I think I got a old 3TB hard drive to work.  After dd'ing it, redoing
partitions and such, it seems to be working.  Right now, I'm copying a
bunch of data to it to see how it holds up.  Oh, it's a PMR drive too.
lol  Once I'm pretty sure it is alive and working well, I want to play
with encryption.  At some point, I plan to encrypt /home.  I found a bit
of info with startpage but some is dated.  This is one link that seems
to be from this year, at least updated this year.

https://linoxide.com/linux-how-to/encrypt-linux-filesystem/

It seems like a nice one since it has commands and what it should look
like when it is performing the commands.  I like knowing what I'm doing
sort of matches what the howto shows.  It also seems to use LVM which I
will be using as well.  I think I can follow that and get a working
encrypted storage.  Later, I can attempt this on /home without doing it
blind.  I also have the options in the kernel as well.  I'll post them
at the bottom.  I enabled quite a lot a while back.  ;-)

Is this a secure method or is there a more secure way?  Is there any
known issues with using this?  Anyone here use this method?  Keep in
mind, LVM.  BTFRS, SP?, may come later.

One other question, can one change the password every once in a while?
Or once set, you stuck with it from then on?

If anyone has links to even better howtos, I'd love to check them out.

Dale

:-)  :-)

root@fireball / # zcat /proc/config.gz | grep crypt | grep =y
CONFIG_ARCH_HAS_MEM_ENCRYPT=y
CONFIG_DM_CRYPT=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_ALGAPI=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_ALGAPI2=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_AEAD=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_AEAD2=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SKCIPHER=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SKCIPHER2=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_HASH=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_HASH2=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_RNG=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_RNG2=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_RNG_DEFAULT=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_AKCIPHER2=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_AKCIPHER=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_KPP2=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_ACOMP2=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_MANAGER=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_MANAGER2=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_MANAGER_DISABLE_TESTS=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_GF128MUL=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_NULL=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_NULL2=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRYPTD=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_AUTHENC=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SIMD=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_GLUE_HELPER_X86=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_RSA=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_ECHAINIV=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CBC=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_ECB=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_LRW=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_XTS=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_NHPOLY1305=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_NHPOLY1305_SSE2=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_NHPOLY1305_AVX2=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_ESSIV=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_HMAC=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRC32C=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_XXHASH=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_BLAKE2B=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CRCT10DIF=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_MD5=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_RMD128=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_RMD160=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_RMD256=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_RMD320=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA1=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA1_SSSE3=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA256_SSSE3=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA512_SSSE3=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA256=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SHA512=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_WP512=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_AES=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_AES_TI=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_ARC4=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_BLOWFISH=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_BLOWFISH_COMMON=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_BLOWFISH_X86_64=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CAMELLIA=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CAMELLIA_X86_64=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CAMELLIA_AESNI_AVX_X86_64=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_CAMELLIA_AESNI_AVX2_X86_64=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_DES=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SERPENT=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_SERPENT_SSE2_X86_64=y
CONFIG_CRYPTO_TWOFISH=y