Jack wrote:
> sys-libs/gpm perhaps?

That should be the one.  I have that installed and I use it on those
rare occasions when the GUI doesn't come up and I need to edit a config
file by pasting from a error to a file.  It comes in handy since typing
it in manually could result in a typo etc.

I keep mine in the default runlevel.  However, if a person finds
themselves in the boot runlevel, just start the gpm service.  I've never
seen it depend on anything else so it should start with no problem even
in a otherwise broken system.  It should start even if in single user mode.

Dale

:-)  :-)