On 2020-06-12 00:43, Jack wrote:
On 2020.06.11 18:05, n952162 wrote:
On 2020-06-11 23:59, Jack wrote:
On 2020.06.11 17:22, n952162 wrote:
On 2020-06-11 23:10, n952162 wrote:
On 2020-06-11 23:05, Jack wrote:
It would really help if you get rid of lots of extraneous
messages in the emerge output by reading all the new news items
(even if you already read them elsewhere) and finish updating
your config files (or deleting the update files if you already
updated the actual config files.)  The more you can get emerge to
stop saying, the easier it is to read what it does say.

Okay, I'll give it a try ... actually, I did, back then. I'm not
sure why it didn't get marked as read.

But I'm really working blind on this machine.  I can't see what I
type (which is one of the reasons I'm trying to update) -
Furthermore, it's in a VM and I don't have X up so I have to put
everything in a file and scp it around.
Ah, that does make things difficult.  I assume you don't have sshd
running on that VM.  Being able to ssh in to a VM is often very
helpful, but you need to have set it up before you have problems.
Actually - if you can scp into the VM, you should be able to ssh.
Can you?  If you, you should be able to do all the edit and emerges
that way.

That's a great idea that I didn't think of, but the problem is, I'm
set up for NAT and as far as I know, you can't ssh in that case ...
maybe I could set up some kind of port-forwarding situation, or
change my networking type ... I'm not sure which is easiest....   I
hadn't expected that this was going to get this complicated  ;-))))
If you can scp you can ssh (or are you running scp from inside the
VM?)  If so, but sshd is running in the VM, then the trick is to find
the right IP address to use to reach the VM.  If you ssh from the VM
to your working PC, then you should be able to see the IP address it
is coming from.  As long as it's the VM doing the NAT and the
connection is not going through a separate router, you should be OK.
The other way is to look at the list of connected devices on the
router.  You should be able to identify the VM and thus the IP address
it is using.  I would try a bit more on this ssh approach, but if it
doesn't work fairly quickly, I would leave it alone and continue to
concentrate on portage, and then upgrading the rest of the system, per
Rich's suggestions.

I think the problem is, vbox's NAT interface acts as a router, but only
uni-directionally.  That means, it will establish a "connection" for
VM-initiated sessions, but there's no mechanism for establishing a
session for external-initiated sessions.

Somebody, please correct me if that is wrong or incomplete.