On Sunday, 21 June 2020 00:08:55 BST Wols Lists wrote:
> On 20/06/20 23:14, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > It sounds like it may be filesystem corruption. With an SD card I'd
> > either reformat it, preferably in the device that will be using it,
>
> If that's possible ... :-)
>
> I now have two devices, my car radio and a tv, both of which require the
> vfat filesystem. New cards seem to come with exFAT. And of course
> neither the radio nor the tv have the option to format a card ... (and
> Windows has deleted the "format as vfat" option). Thank $DEITY for
> mkfs.vfat :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

There may also be a lock switch on the card itself or an SD card adaptor, if
connected to the PC using an adaptor, although I expect Dale would have
noticed that feature and unlocked it.  Sometimes the lock switch is faulty and
will only make contact half way through, switching back to read only at the
fully unlocked position - they don't make things as they used to anymore.  :(

Let's not forget corroded electrical contacts - I've had that happen with a
USB stick, which accidentally fell in a cup of coffee.  LOL!  The coffee
corroded the copper, but the problem only became apparent intermittently a
week later.  Cleaning the contacts with fine wire wool and blowing away all
swarf followed by a wipe with methylated spirit allowed me to access my files
again.

To eliminate PC/adaptor problems, reinsert the card in the camera device it
came with and delete/format it there.  If it still doesn't work, RMA it under
warranty, or buy a new card, of a different make.  Then tell us all what make/
model it was, so we can all avoid it!  LOL!

PS. exFAT has made it into the latest Linux kernels.