Le 21/06/2020 à 23:08, Rich Freeman a écrit :
On Fri, Jun 19, 2020 at 5:19 PM Hervé Guillemet <h...@apteryx.fr> wrote:

Or do you have any suggestion for alternatives to this gentoo chroot ?
(I'd prefer avoid installing some CentOS or Ubuntu as virtual guests).

You're of course free to do it any way you wish, but if I wanted to
create packages for various distros, I'd probably just follow their
instructions for doing so.

If you're making Ubuntu 16.04 packages I suspect it would be just a
lot less fuss all around to do it from an Ubuntu 16.04 container, and
so on.

And if you're just building binaries and creating tarballs with them,
well, why?  If people want to manually deal with stuff the source is
already fine.  If they want the benefits of a package manager they're
going to want packages.  And if you're hoping to encourage distros to
do the packaging for you, they're probably only going to do that from
source anyway.

In my case the application is a Java software embedding some native components. I don't want to limit the target system to some specific distros and specific versions, I just want the software to run on a large variety of linux boxes. All I have to do is to avoid linking with too recent libc and libstdc++. Version 2.29+ of libc is particularly annoying because they introduce new version of pow(), log() and exp()... so any simple mathematical library compiled with 2.29+ won't run on linux distro using 2.28-. As for the packaging, I'm using a jlink image in a tarball, and will probably use jpackage soon.

I imagine most distros have a fairly straightforward packaging system,
and I suspect a lot of CI systems have plugins to churn out packages
for them automatically.  So why maintain some Gentoo chroot and
carefully curate every single library on them to match some entirely
different distro?  You're going to run into stuff where Gentoo doesn't
have the version you need in the repo, and you'll be fighting auto
updates, and so on.

But, sure, you can get Gentoo to install whatever you want as long as
you don't mind manually picking packages, or maintaining your own repo
where you carefully curate this stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion. I believe my local build system with the chroot is enough for my current needs but I'll probably have to use a CI system if it becomes untractable or decide to use target distro packaging system.

--
Hervé