Hello,

Well, after much reading and studying of iptables, I have written different
rules for different workstations and firewalls. It's time to begin testing.

Question 1:
I'm planning on using nmap and nessus  to test from the outside(internet)
inward). On the inside I plan on using snort, an monitoring the various
log files. Any further suggestions on testing?

Although I have read quite a lot, including the most excellent, just
published book, "Linux Firewalls" third edition, I'm still not quite
clear about some iptables details on Gentoo:
Question 2:
/etc/init.d/iptables is the startup script. Take Care not to change this
script unless absolutely necessary.

/etc/conf.d/iptables is the configuration file for default file names and
options. Make my modifications here, if I want something different other than
the default
gentoo iptables setup.

/etc/init.d/firewall  is the default file where where you put your rules you
have written or grabbed elsewhere and modified to meet your specific needs.

/var/lib/iptables/rules-save is the file that will save out from kernel memory
the actual rulesets being used. This file is also reloaded as necessary. Avoid
direct modifications to this.

Is this explanation correct? Did I miss something or get something confused.
I could not really find any documentation on this, so much was inference
from various linux sites, some very old, and a few gentoo specific sites.

Assuming this is correct, I have seen many command line options and
differing recommendations on how to modify the rules and when to save
them out and to what file. Any details one can provide, that are gentoo
specific, are most welcome.

James

James