I posted about this on the Gentoo forums (see [1]) but didn't get any
response so I'll try my luck here! The post explains everything but.
briefly, normally when I boot a kernel I initially get some messages
in a large clunky font, and then the frame-buffer module loads and
everything is hi-res and fills the entire monitor. On my new box the
first messages are video-static until the frame-buffer takes over. I
have an error in a new root partition I have built and need to read
those messages! What of all the numerous parameters in various places
should I try tweaking?

Thanks
Robin

1. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1114668-highlight-.html