Asking here since the kde-pim list suggested that this could be a Gentoo-specific problem I'm having.

In KDE KMail, when I enable the "only quote selected text when replying" feature under Configure -> Composer -> General, the reply behavior doesn't seem to change. That is to say, if I try to select a line of text, and reply (as one would do with a mailing list, for example), the reply window quotes the entire message instead. I've tried unchecking and rechecking the box, with an 'apply' after each change, to no avail.

Is this a bug?  How can I troubleshoot/fix this?

Kmail Version 5.13.3 (19.12.3) (according to the about panel) using the following profile: default/linux/amd64/17.1/desktop/plasma