On 2020-08-14 22:17-0000 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> […]
> ### "rc-service iptables" vs. "/etc/init.d/iptables"

rc-service runs the same service scripts that are in /etc/init.d/, so
it's the same. However the manpage of rc-service(8) mentions that
“Service scripts could be in different places on different systems”, so
the most compatible way would be to use rc-service.

> […]
> At the top of the page, rules are loaded by adding 'iptables' to the
> runlevel 'default', while at the bottom of the page, the 'boot'
> runlevel is used instead.
>
> Is there some significance to these differences?

I would use the same runlevel I use for net.*. iptables will always be
started before net.*, see depend() in /etc/init.d/iptables.
Note that, if you set rc_depend_strict="NO" in /etc/rc.conf, the
dependency “net” is satisfied if only one net.* service is started. In
this case you may want to but iptables in ‘boot’ and net.* in ‘default’.

Kind regards, tastytea