On 18-Aug-20 8:43, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:

would i get blacklisted for simply not using
spf/dkim/etc?  even if no other user is using the
mail service other than me and i'm not mass
mailing?

Well, hear my story: I too was running simple mail-server. Just
a few users I trust, no public relaying, so what could possibly
go wrong? As it turned out later: everything!

For a few months all was running as expected, but then some time
later all valid email sent by my mail-server was suddenly flagged
as spam and rejected. It took me some time to investigate but
finally I found my domain (not IP) was on Spamhaus' DBL (domain
block list). How did it get there?

It seems that someone has created faked spf-record for my domain
(I was not using dnssec at that time) and somehow spread it out
(maybe using dns cache-poisoning?) to many public dn-resolvers.
With that spf-record he authorised many spam-sending hosts to
send email with sender field pointing to my domain.

And that was even bigger problem, because one can easily switch
to different vps/IP if it gets blacklisted, but I did not want to
abandon my domain. It took me quite long time to fix everything.

So short answer is yes! Even if you are not mass-mailing, you can
still get blacklisted, if you do not secure your IP, domain and
mail-server properly...

Jarry