On 30/08/20 14:06, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
> you know there is this almost neat concept called
> url?
>
> rumours say that urls can identify various web
> applications, ranging from websites, rss, games,
> video, and, guess what?  mails.  all over
> http/https/h2 over same tcp 80/443.  hard to
> believe, but this magic is known since early
> 1990s.

Have you looked at urls lately?

http:/example.org/blah/blah

https:/example.org/foo/bar

git:/github.com/my/wonderful/project

smb:/mypc/username/documents

The first bit of the url is the protocol - guess what - it explicitly
chooses between http / hhtps / git / whatever.

It runs above tcp/udp, not tcp80/443.

(I've never seen an smtp:/ or imap:/ url, but I guess they could easily
be formulated.)

Cheers,
Wol