On Tue, 08 Sep 2020 16:12:38 -0500, Matt Connell (Gmail) wrote:

> > It seems odd that when there's multiple ways to satisfy a
> > virtual there's now way to "configure" which one you want for when
> > that virtual get's pulled in.  Maybe I just haven't run into it often
> > enough...
>
> I thought about this myself too.  I don't think there's any consistency
> to it either.  For example, virtual/jdk will pull in icedtea-bin,
> whereas virtual/rust pulls in dev-lang/rust.  It isn't a big deal (to
> me) but I also don't fully understand the motivation for all the
> decisions.
>
> Maybe a thought for a future portage feature setting for virtual
> ebuilds, like --prefer-binary-virtuals versus --prefer-nonbinary-
> virtuals or something?  Just spitballing.

I was thinking along similar lines, or maybe with a prefer-bin USE flag.

Alternatively, have portage spit out a warning if a virtual is required
and none of its alternatives are installed, but that would spoil running
portage non-interactively.

Another option would be for each virtual have have a set of USE flags
corresponding to its choices, but that could get very messy very quickly.

--
Neil Bothwick

Next time you wave at me, use more than one finger, please.