Hi Silvio,

I think the problem is that you have told portage to use both nouveau
and nvidia as a driver for your card. If you have both drivers installed
and do not blacklist one of them, the other will not work.

> # modprobe nvidia
> modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'nvidia': No such device

If nouveau takes control of the card first, for example, you will not be
able to load the nvidia module anymore, just as it happens to you here.

> # lspci | grep VGA
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM206 [GeForce GTX 960]
> (rev a1)

You can run 'lspci -k' to see which driver is in use for a PCI device.
This will probably return 'nouveau' for you. You can also check lsmod
for the 'nouveau' module.

> # cat /etc/portage/make.conf | grep VIDEO
> VIDEO_CARDS="nouveau nvidia"

I'm assuming you want the proprietary driver, so change this to read the
following and run 'emerge -c' to get rid of the superfluous driver:

        VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"

--
Wolf