On 2020-09-18 13:32+0000 Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:

> Hello, Gentoo!
>
> I've a number of jpeg files, 17 to be precise, which are high
> resolution and are around 3½ megabytes each.  I would like to
> compress them down to around 100 kb each.
>
> I'm sure this is possible, if tedious, in gimp, somehow, but I can't
> for the life of me work out how (since it's years since I last did
> this).
>
> What is the best way (minimal learning, scriptable if possible), to do
> this?

I'm not aware of a way that allows you to specify a file size, but you
can use convert from media-gfx/imagemagick to re-compress and/or resize
the files. For example:

convert -quality 50 in.jpg out.jpg
convert -resize 1000 in.jpg out.jpg

The last command makes the image 1000px wide and sets the height
automatically to the right value.

Hope this helps,
tastytea

--