On Sun, Oct 04, 2020 at 06:31:44PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote

> However, I would wait until the new modem arrives as most do allow
> you to turn off DHCP for the LAN and the information you have may
> only apply to the WAN connection.

  On their support board, the ISP's tech support told me...

a) My computer or router needs to be configured to get the IP
   automatically by DHCP to get the connection up and running.

b) The TC4400 is a cable modem without any router capabilities, so
   there are no wifi antennas on the device. (This was in response
   to my question about turning off wifi.)

  A Google search turned up a default config webpage and userID and
password for the TC4400.  If that doesn't work, I'll look into getting
a NAT-ing router that can get a dhcp IP address.  The plan would be...

* The cable modem would connect to the internet and pass an address
  via dhcp to the router.

* The router would treat the dhcp-assigned address from the cable modem
  as "the internet" and expose 192.168.0.0/16 to my computers, which
  would allow my home computers to use static IP addresses as before.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>