On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 10:11:23PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Here is my /etc/portage/make.conf if it will help on the use variable.
> I'm sending the whole file since it may have other errors.

Looks fine to me, aside from this potentially problematic line:

> MAKEOPTS="-j2"

I've had some very  obscure  and  hard-to-diagnose  errors  arise  due  to  this
parallelism option.  Try changing it to "-j1" and build again.   If  that  still
does not work, you  might  have  to  provide  the  build  information  of  every
dependency of PCRE (`libedit` is irrelevant for your case):

        $ emerge --info app-arch/bzip2 sys-libs/zlib \
        > sys-libs/readline dev-util/pkgconfig

I'd also like to see the explicit  packages  pulled  in  by  PCRE,  without  the
clutter of your world set.  I could try and infer it from the indentation of the
dependency graph you already provided, but I'm down six shots of vodka  and  I'd
rather not make a fool of myself.  This should be the output  of  the  following
emerge command:

        $ emerge -tvp libpcre

        These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

        Calculating dependencies... done!
        [ebuild   R    ] dev-libs/libpcre-8.44:3::gentoo  USE="bzip2 cxx jit
readline recursion-limit (split-usr) (unicode) zlib -libedit -pcre16 -pcre32
-static-libs" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" 0 KiB

--

Ashley Dixon
suugaku.co.uk

2A9A 4117