On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 11:07:44 -0400,
Ashley Dixon wrote:

> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 07:04:46AM -0400, John Covici wrote:
> > I always get this error, but the flag indicating which driver is being
> > used still works, so I have not paid too much attention to this one.
> > I do have a running system with /lib/modules and the error still
> > occurrs.
>
> What is the exact error?  Is it accompanied by an error code?  libkmod looks
> for
> the following files, typically  located  in  `/lib/modules/$(uname  -r)/`,
> when
> client applications request a context [1]; most of these can be  generated
> with
> depmod(8):
>
>  - modules.dep
>  - modules.alias
>  - modules.symbols
>  - modules.builtin.alias
>  - modules.builtin
>
>         struct _index_files {
>                 const char *fn;
>                 const char *prefix;
>         }
>
> The most interesting for kernel modules is `modules.alias`, which  is  the
> more
> modern representation of `modules.{pci,usb}map` [2].  Are all these files
> intact
> on your system? What happens when you run `lsmod`?
>
> [1]
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/utils/kernel/kmod/kmod.git/tree/libkmod/libkmod.c#n53
> [2] https://stackoverflow.com/a/25644147/

I have the following in my running kernel:

modules.alias              modules.builtin
modules.builtin.bin        modules.dep.bin            modules.order
modules.symbols
modules.alias.bin          modules.builtin.alias.bin  modules.dep
modules.devname            modules.softdep
modules.symbols.bin

and the error message is

lspci: Unable to load libkmod resources: error -12

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una
         cov...@ccs.covici.com