Ashley Dixon wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 02:13:05PM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>> On 2020-10-09, Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>>> All are in portage and easy to set up in a way that is shocking to anyone
>>> used to GRUB.
>> Grub's actually quite easy to set up if you skip all the auto-magical
>> stuff and just manually create a grub.cfg file.
> I always thought GRUB was very pleasant to configure,  albeit  it  is  the
> only
> modern bootloader I've used with Linux.  It has some quirks for older
> hardware,
> but the Gentoo handbook has always had good coverage for ninety-nine percent
> of
> use-cases [1], with a lot of additional information on the dedicated  wiki
> page
> [2].
>
> Especially with `grub-mkconfig`, you don't have to manually  edit
> configuration
> files at all, which doesn't seem to be an option for  users  of  LILO.   As
> for
> versatility, I  don't  think  anything  can  touch  GRUB;  I've  had
> surprising
> successes with it on some very peculiar/arcane/archaic systems.
>
> [1]
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Full/Installation#Default:_GRUB2
> [2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2

I don't recall ever having issues with grub2 or the older one either.
As far as booting, my issue is those init thingys.  I don't like those
and I've had a lot of trouble making one that works and had them to fail
when booting.  If I could wave a magic wand, the init thingys would go
poof.  One thing I don't like much about grub2, it tries to be fancy.
It's a bootloader not a self driving car.

That said, I've thought about looking for a replacement for grub.  I did
like the old grub a lot.  For me, it was dang near drop dead simple.  If
I found something more like the old grub, well, I'd find that
interesting to look into.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S. Noticed Seamonkey is being a know it all, as usual.  Manually
forcing text only.  Now where's my hammer!!!