On 11/10/2020 21:55, n952162 wrote:

I ran into this:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1108636-start-0.html

but I really don't understand anything about these alternative instruction sets and would think my CPU is pretty vanilla.

I mean, I hope to avoid trail-and-error approaches to solving this ...

My first reaction was "have you specified x86 in make.conf?". As others have said, you need to make sure it's either x86_64, or AMD64, whatever is appropriate.

I think SSE2 first appeared about the end of the Pentium era (if not earlier), so any half-way-modern cpu will have it.

Dunno whether these musings will be any help, but we'll see ...

Cheers,
Wol