On 15/10/2020 21:07, Jack wrote:
However, and I have no experience here, although some systems can boot in BIOS mode to a GPT partitioned disk, there may be extra hoops to jump through.  I'm sure others will chime in with additional information.

I don't think my current system has EFI, and it boots quite happily from a GPT-formatted 3TB disk. In case it matters, however, the last 2TB are my /home partition, so everything else - /, swap, grub etc are all in the first TB.

Bear in mind that, in BIOS mode, grub installs itself in the "empty" first 2048 sectors.

Cheers,
Wol