On Monday, 19 October 2020 17:10:57 BST Peter Humphrey wrote:
> On Monday, 19 October 2020 14:08:05 -00 Michael wrote:
> > Are you saying calling 'efibootmgr -v' lists a different UEFI boot menu?
>
> No, I'm saying that I appear to be able to create a BIOS entry using
> efibootmgr, but when I reboot and enter BIOS setup, the entry often isn't
> there. Or if it is, either the kernel won't boot, or it does but the
> resulting system is incomplete.
>
> When I bought this system I failed entirely to install grub - I followed the
> instructions slavishly and received much help from those more knowledgeable
> on this list at the time, but never got the system to boot. Then, groping
> about trying to understand efibootmgr, bootctl and UEFI generally, I may
> have done some combination of things that prevented those tools from ever
> working again. For me. On this machine.
>
> So the summary is: I can preserve the ESP using Windows's system image
> creation and recovery tool, but not with those two Linux tools.
>
> I've wasted several months wrestling with this, and I've finished up with
> what I've described.

I see.  What you describe is interesting, because the UEFI firmware GUI,
efibootmgr, and MSWindows are all meant to be accessing the *same* database of
editable entries on the firmware, using the UEFI API.  I have not looked into
bootctl more than once to know what it does with any clarity.

However, I don't think anyone would argue against empirical repeatable
outcomes.  :-)