What complexity? I have a couple EFI machines booting via Grub, and they work great. I just had to ensure the correct GRUB_TARGET in make.conf and then after I had my partitions setup and formatted, I just did grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/EFI and it went smooth as silk as long as I didn't have /boot on newer ZFS setup. Even ZFS would work if you setup /boot to be a separate dataset and make it with absolute minimal options.