On Saturday, 19 December 2020 10:20:26 GMT n952162 wrote:

> I don't think this output or any list participant has actually
> identified where the problem here is.  In my original posting, the only
> difference causing the slot collision for jinja was that one had a
> PYTHON_TARGETS of 3-7 and the other of 3-8.  I asked how to force it to
> the correct value, but if someone explained that to me, I didn't
> understand it.

You have specified manually a number of python versions, you shouldn't have.

It seems you have also added permanently into your /var/lib/portage/world a
large number of dependencies and libraries due to your emerge syntax when
emerging specific packages, which again, you shouldn't have.

As a result with your own inputs in your portage configuration you are
fighting against what portage is trying to do in its calculations.

I would think the easiest solution would be to work with portage, rather than
despite portage:

1. Purge from your config files any hardcoded python targets, in order to let
portage choose which python target version it requires.

2. Clean your world file from any and all dependencies, libraries and packages
you do not want to have explicitly installed.

3. If 'emerge -uaNDv @system' gives you similar errors as above, try emerging
one package at a time with '--oneshot', so it does not inadvertently end up in
your world; e.g.

emerge -1aNDv <package name>

Do not specify a package version in the above, just a name only.  Let portage
install the version it calculates is appropriate and update any dependencies
needed.  If your toolchain is completely borked, you could try the same by
using a Live-CD and a latest portage snapshot as per the guide book.

4. When you finish emerging @system you should have a sound toolchain to build
the rest of your Gentoo installation with.  Run the following:

etc-update (to update your system configuration files)

emerge --depclean -v -a (to unmerge packages/versions no longer needed)

5. Follow with 'emerge -uaNDv @world'.

6. When you finish all this run:

etc-update

emerge -v -a @preserved-rebuild --keep-going

emerge --depclean -v -a

revdep-rebuild -v -- -a

/usr/bin/eclean-dist

7. Build the latest kernel, update grub's menu, reboot.

> I'm afraid I'm going to have to give up on gentoo, although I'm pretty
> heavily invested in it.  I'm spending too many hours trying to maintain
> my systems and running into too many seemingly arbitrary roadblocks.
> I'm told I should update every week, but I can't get a system updated in
> a week.

I have some systems I update once a month or even less frequently.  There's an
old box I use sometimes for testing. I don't update this particular box for
the best part of 3 months at a time.  I very rarely, if ever, arrive at hard
[B]locks and even when I do I often resolve them by changing or reverting to
defaults their USE flags, or first using quickpkg, then manually unmerging the
blocking non-system package and letting portage decide for me what package
version to emerge and which dependencies it needs.

YMMV, but a stable system should not be too troublesome to update if you
follow the above advice.

This mailing list, forums and IRC channels tend to offer really good advice,
in case you want to try a different crowd for ideas.

HTH.  :-)
> /Is there  a fundamental goals issue here, when there's so much
> incompatibility between python3_{6,7,8,9}?  Do  packages really need to
> care?  Are these versions so fundamentally different from each other,
> and programmers rely on those differences?  Or, is this somebody's
> orderliness tic?/

Portage runs on python and it is also a dependency on a large number of other
packages and scripts.  As python upstream is gradually deprecating older
versions, Gentoo has to follow through with the migration.  The portage tree
is presently in a relative state of flux because of this, but it should soon
slow down again.

If your system is borked for unknown reasons and following the above
suggestions you can't arrive at a stable state, perhaps it is time for you to
reinstall - which by the look of things it ought to take less of your time?