Hi.  I have an ebuild for app-accessibility/brltty-6.2.ebuild -- I
 copied it from the 6.1, but the install fails, it compiles OK.  The
 ebuild is attached for your convenience.

Here is what I get and what the developer told me.

ectory
'/var/tmp/portage/app-accessibility/brltty-6.2/work/brltty-6.2-python3_8/Programs'
set -- --quiet build --build-temp .; \
[ "linux-gnu" != "mingw32" ] || set -- "${@}" --compiler mingw32; \
"/usr/bin/python3.8" ./setup.py "${@}"
[ "linux-gnu" != "mingw32" ] || "/usr/bin/python3.8" ./setup.py
--quiet bdist_wininst --skip-build
set -- --quiet install --skip-build --record "installed-files"; \
[ -z "/var/tmp/portage/app-accessibility/brltty-6.2/image" ] || set --
"${@}" --root "/var/tmp/portage/app-accessibility/brltty-6.2/image"; \
[ -z "" ] || set -- "${@}" --prefix ""; \
"/usr/bin/python3.8" ./setup.py "${@}"
 * ERROR: app-accessibility/brltty-6.2::local_ebuilds failed (install
  phase):
    *   !!! newins: Autostart/Udev/rules does not exist
       *

Here is what the developer said:

>  *   !!! newins: Autostart/Udev/rules does not exist

That file has been renamed to device.rules. That's because there are
now two
ruells files - device.rules and uinput.rules. They should both be
installed.
Why doesn't gentoo just use brltty's make install-udev?

   udev_newrules Autostart/Udev/rules 70-brltty.rules

It should be: Autostart/Udev/device.rules

Note that there's another file now that also needs to be installed:

   Autopstart/Udev/uinput.rules         newinitd
   "${FILESDIR}"/brltty.rc brltty

>systemd_dounit Autostart/Systemd/brltty@.service

Note that there's a new systemd instance unit that also needs to be
installed:

   Autostart/Systemd/brltty-device@.service

>systemd_dotmpfilesd "${FILESDIR}/${PN}.tmpfiles.conf"

I'm not sure of the precise syntax, here, but this file should be
installed as
brltty.conf (i.e. named after the package) when it's installed into
the
tmpfiles.d/ subdirectory.

There's also another systemd file, sysusers, which should be named
brltty.conf
(again named after the package) when it's installed into the
sysusers.d/
subdirectory.

>I wonder what to change to get this working?

Explained above. What I'm wondering, however, is why this is being
done outside
of the make file that brltty already comes to do all of this. Why not
just do:

   make install-systemd install-udev

I should also make sure to mention that there are two more systemd
units -
brltty.path and brltty@.path - that also need to be installed.

Really, we provide make files that do all of these things. How can any
distribution ever get it right when it wants to try to get it all
right its own
way? Code duplication is never good!

Please bear with me -- although I have used gentoo for years, I have
not done much with writing ebuilds.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

And, Merry Christmas to all on this list, you folks have been a great
help over the years.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una