On Friday, 15 January 2021 22:43:36 GMT the...@sys-concept.com wrote:

> The fact that I'm logged via ssh over VPN to a remote network should not
> have any influence over network speed.

It may influence speed if you're trying to push a large file through the
tunnel.  TCP over TCP tends to choke due to retransmissions:

http://sites.inka.de/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html

Is the VPN you mention using a TCP or UDP tunnel?

> I just made a loop:
> Network A ==> Internet ==> Network B
> ssh back to Network A over internet and run "rsync" I got same speed (as if
> I run the command locally) on Network A 112MB/s
>
> So the limiting factor is somewhere else.

I'm sorry, but I fail to understand with any clarity what runs where and how
when you test things locally, Vs remotely.  I mean:

- Network topology;
- Network Protocols;
- Applications & application protocols;
- Relevant services on each peer;
- Actions on each peer;
- Results per action.

As already mentioned iperf or netcat/telnet results will confirm if this is
purely a network issue, ISPs performing deep packet inspection/throttling
affecting throughput asymmetrically, etc.

SSDs are typically faster than spinning disks, but not always as fast as
ramdisks/tmpfs, especially if write amplification takes place, TRIM kicks in,
etc.

Stacking network + application protocols can also have an adverse effect.
Applications like rsync which compare file names, sizes, hashes and what not,
do not offer a reliable speed comparison.

Methodically testing each component of the transmission system should get you
an answer at the end.