John Dangler wrote:

Holly~

Thanks for the reply.  It seems fairly straightforward.  From reading this,
I would think that running module-rebuild populate would be the first task.
Add/Del package would be for building discriminate versions of a kernel
(presumably for locating problems or just testing out a kernel revision),
list is simply a list of what's been 'populate'd, toggle would have similar
usage as Add/Del, except that it would allow/disallow a package which has
been 'populate'd, and rebuild would be the heart of the reason for this
utility, to rebuild a set of modules into a new kernel.  Assuming I'm at
least somewhat correct in this, my only point of confusion is whether I
compile the new kernel first, then run module-rebuild? Or does running
module-rebuild 'rebuild' allow me to compile the new kernel, link it, and
reboot into it?

Regards,

JD
http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20051024-newsletter.xml

Under "Tips and tricks".

Basically just:

# module-rebuild list
# module-rebuild rebuild

I noticed that if you do another "list" after the "rebuild", the
same modules show as needing rebuild.  Then after a reboot
the "list" shows clean.  So I'm assuming the "list" is against
your running kernel.

HTH,
Roy