On Thursday, 4 February 2021 16:37:01 GMT n952162 wrote:
> On 2/4/21 5:17 PM, Jack wrote:

> >> Both are in my world file:
> >>
> >> # grep virtualbox /var/lib/portage/world
> >> app-emulation/virtualbox
> >> app-emulation/virtualbox-modules
> >
> > If you have already run virtualbox since the last reboot, you might
> > need to rmmod those modules to unload the older version. Then you can
> > use modprobe to load the new versions, without having to reboot.
> >
> > Jack
>
> Good tip, unfortunately, it didn't help:
>
> $ sudo rmmod vboxnetadp vboxnetflt vboxdrv
> Password:
> $ lsmod | grep  vbox
> $ startvm txm1.4-new
> WARNING: The vboxdrv kernel module is not loaded. Either there is no module
>           available for the current kernel (4.19.86-gentoo-x86_64) or it
> failed to
>           load. Please recompile the kernel module and install it by
>
>             for m in vbox{drv,netadp,netflt}; do modprobe $m; done
>
>           You will not be able to start VMs until this problem is fixed.
> Waiting for VM "txm1.4-new" to power on...
> VBoxManage: error: The virtual machine 'txm1.4-new' has terminated
> unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1)
> VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005),
> component MachineWrap, interface IMachine
>
> That takes away my confidence that it would work after a re-boot ...

Try again updating the modules, but use the correct syntax.  The prefix "@"
denotes this is a predefined set and it will rebuild any packages which own
files in your /lib/modules:

emerge -1aDv @module-rebuild

I assume you have already installed 'app-emulation/virtualbox-modules' at
least once, if VBox was working OK until recently?  Otherwise, emerge the
package 'app-emulation/virtualbox-modules' and modprobe each module keeping an
eye in dmesg to make sure they load without further errors.