On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 12:10:50 -0700, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:

> On 2/7/21 4:09 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 01:28:39 -0700, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> >
> >> I disable "slim" login manager and try not to use any display manger
> >> (for simplicity). I start X from:
> >>
> >>  ~/.bash_profile
> >> exec startx -- vt1
> >>
> >> but now when I try to ssh as user, I get:
> >>
> >> (==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
> >> (EE)
> >> Fatal server error:
> >> (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 1 (Permission
> >> denied)
> >
> > Of course you are, because you are still trying to start X. If you
> > must start X from .bash_profile, you need something like
> >
> > [ -z "$SSH_TTY" ] && startx ...
> >
> > to only start it when not using SSH.
>
> What do you suggest?
> I was planning to get away from "slim" as I think it is getting more
> unstable; I just need a simple system to start X, log-in over ssh and
> use x2go session.

Why do you need to start X, doesn't x2go run its own X session? You are
trying to start X in an SSH session, which is what gives your error. The
line I suggested runs startx only if you are not logging in via SSH. No
display manager is involved.

--
Neil Bothwick

If you got the words it does not mean you got the knowledge.