On Sunday, 14 February 2021 06:43:55 GMT Dan Egli wrote:
> On 2/12/2021 4:00 AM, Michael wrote:

> > D [11/Feb/2021:13:08:36 -0700] [Job 11] hpcups
> > (application/vnd.cups-raster to printer/ENVY, cost 0)
> >
> > This is the hplip printer driver in action, using a MIME format for CUPS
> > to transmit and print raster imaged pages.
> >
> > Question:  Why is this driver in play?
> >
> > Even if the physical printer is an HP, it is neither connected to Janus,
> > nor Athena.
>
> No, it's not. But the windows printer driver expects the client to do
> all the rendering and deliver only finalized printer instructions when
> it receives network jobs. I suppose I could change it to a generic
> PostScript driver and tell Windows to do the rendering...

I think the problem arises if you layer one printer driver over another.

> > I suggest you configure CUPS in Janus to use a different print driver:
> >
> > First try 'IPP everywhere' the latest /driverless/ printing option.  With
> > 'IPP everywhere' CUPS will communicate with IPP enabled printers and
> > interrogate them on the fly to generate and use the requisite PPD
> > capabilities configuration.
>
> Hmmm. Didn't see IPP everywhere as a "driver" but i really didn't look
> past the HP drivers. But I question if even that will work. Sounds like
> when Athena tries to render the page into printer instructions it's
> dying, with the cupsRasterOpen failed (and what kind of an error message
> is that? Tell me something I might be able to use to FIX the issue!).

Heh! Devs' messages are usually clear in their meaning.  Mostly to devs.  :-)

Since the printer is not physically attached to and driven by Athena, I think
the rendering is taking place by the MSWindows printer driver, at the Windows
OS.

Athena functions as a router in this case pushing what it receives over
smb://.

Have a look here for the 'IPP Everywhere' configuration option:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Driverless_printing