On Mon, 08 Mar 2021 18:37:21 -0500,
Grant Taylor wrote:

> On 3/8/21 4:03 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> > How do you feel it compares to just installing from scratch
> > while preserving whatever config and user data you care about?
> > I've done that quite a few times and it usually takes about 2-3
> > hours for the initial install and then overnight to build a
> > desktop environment (if one is needed).
>
> I feel like installing from scratch misses a lot of things.  Even
> wholesale overwriting the new /etc with the old /etc is
> questionable. You'd have to make sure that all the same software
> was installed.
>
> Aside:  I've spent too much time around other SAs that would
> ""recover a down server by doing fresh installs in hours and then
> spending weeks to get everything back to the way that it needed
> to be verses spending ~18 hours to restore from tape and have
> things work the way they were 24 hours prior.  I also never cared
> for in place upgrades (installing over top of itself) in the
> Windows world.
>
> I feel *MUCH* /more/ comfortable with what I did than other
> solutions. I trust that this is the same install with patches
> applied.  I couldn't and wouldn't say the same for an
> installation over the top or fresh installation.
>
> Don't get me wrong.  I believe there are places for fresh
> installations.  They usually happen coordinate with new machines
> and / or new drives for me.
>
> After all, I effectively have the same thing that I would have if
> I had done updates over the last year like they should have been
> done.

hmmm, I had to do a sort of fresh install, I did it on my running
system and I did it because portage and other stuff was messed up in
some way I could not fix, so I did the install, copied parts of my
/etc, emerged part of my world file -- that needed cleaning up too --
and kept doing this till I was done and then copied from my chroot to
my main system.  I don't necessarily recomend this, but it did get
things cleaned up and working again.  At least I didn't have to change
profiles and gcc versions several times.  I guess different situations
require different methods.

How do
you spend it?

         John Covici wb2una