Hi,

I have just reinstalled my 32 bit Gentoo on a raspberry pi 3B with a
Gentoo aarch64 image also with boot on an sdcard and root on nfs (both
working fine with boot on an sdcard and root on an nfs share hosted on
an moosefs cluster).  Both have a problem where the initial boot loader
requests an IP address using "IP=dhcp", then the main operating system
requests it again on initialising the interface.  Despite asking using
the same MAC address, ISC dhcp issues a new and different IP address -
this seems counter intuitive so why is it happening?  Have I missed a
configuration option somewhere?

The standard advice is to stop the OS requesting an address (Ubuntu and
the like) - but shouldn't dhcp know that its already issued a valid IP
address to that MAC address?

BillK