On Wed, 2021-03-24 at 15:03 -0600, Grant Taylor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have any pointers on where to start on converting a 10-15
> year old SysV style init script to OpenRC?

I'd start with "man openrc-run", and then read the service-script-
guide.md that is shipped & installed along with OpenRC.

OpenRC is similar to SysV but with a few added features:

  * Dependencies (start service A before service B),

  * A "checkpath" helper for setting permissions (be careful with
    this, it's safer than chmod/chown but still not 100% secure),

  * The ability to "background" a daemon and manage the PIDfile
    itself,

  * Sane default behaviors that let you avoid boilerplate by declaring
    variables at the top of the service script.