On 5/29/21 1:32 PM, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 5/29/21 2:00 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, May 29, 2021 at 12:54 PM <the...@sys-concept.com
>> <mailto:the...@sys-concept.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I use "scp" to copy large file over local network, windows-7_pro.ova (about
>>> 28GB) but I it failed to import the appliance with VirtualBox.
>>> Checking the md5sum of the source and destination it turn out they are
>>> different.
>>>
>>> Is "scp" reliable for large files?
>>
>> In my experience scp is reliable but for large files I'd probably opt for
>> some version of rsync, possibly the -P option. That way if the transfer
>> stops for some reason you can generally pick up where it left off.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Mark
>
> Another mystery.
> I copied the file to USB 1TB sandisk.
> md5sum check OK same as my computer
>

> md5sum
> /run/media/joseph/SSD-1TB/business/backup/VDI/windows-7_pro_May-23-21.ova
> 6f3348f1fb915af9c45806d947558a37
> /run/media/joseph/SSD-1TB/business/backup/VDI/windows-7_pro_May-23-21.ova
>
> I mount the same USB 1TB sandisk on another computer and running md5sum on
> same file gives me different number,  why???
>
> md5sum /run/media/fd/SSD-1TB/business/backup/VDI/windows-7_pro_May-23-21.ova
> c478cb48e2f7961cb0e3eb452df6e642
> /run/media/fd/SSD-1TB/business/backup/VDI/windows-7_pro_May-23-21.ova

Did you sync and unmount the partition before ejecting the drive from
the first computer?  With a file this large being copied, it is likely
that a large amount of data remains buffered/cached and will not be
fully written to the flash memory even after the copy command completes.

On the first machine, you would still see the correct md5sum because the
kernel abstracts this fact away from you.  But if you rip out the drive
and take it somewhere else without flushing those caches, you're going
to get an incomplete file.

Check if the file on the drive still md5sums the same if you plug it
back into the first machine.  Check what size it is, and whether there
are a lot of 0s at the end indicating an unfinished write.

cal