On 24/07/21 22:09, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> I'm actually using s/qmail, tarball direct from its maintainer, since
> there's no ebuild for it.  Originally, I had daemontools from the same
> place, until I discovered there was an ebuild for it.

THAT LOOKS LIKE YOUR PROBLEM.

If daemontools has been pulled in because it's explicitly named in
world, then emerge will (quite reasonably) assume that openrc (which is
an implied dependency) can be dispensed with.

In other words, if one member of a virtual package is explicitly
installed, all the other members can be dispensed with. Changing this is
likely to cause breakage all over the place!!!

Okay, it's a nasty surprise to discover that installing a package with
multiple uses can make the system assume you're using it for things
you're not, but I think the only *workable* fix is, as others have said,
to add openrc to the world set.

You've explicitly pulled in a boot manager package. You can't expect
portage to keep a bunch of implicit package managers (systemd, sysV,
openrc etc) lying around when you haven't asked for them. I've installed
postfix as my mailer - I don't want exim, sendmail, etc etc lying around
"just in case".

Cheers,
Wol