On Sun, 25 Jul 2021 17:25:17 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> The number of people who would lose their systems by this mechanism is
> likely very small, but that loss would probably involve a
> re-installation.  I mean all a victim has to go on is the fact that his
> machine won't boot, combined with a memory of having run emerge
> --depclean the night before.

So boot into busybox or a rescue disk, look in emerge.log to see what
changed and undo it. I think a "Can't find init" message would be fairly
easy to understand.

> > It seems that Rich's suggestion has the most merit, add a USE flag to
> > daemontools to indicate that it is intended to be your service
> > manager, and have the virtual require that flag. Yes, it would
> > require a one-off rebuild of daemontools for everyone with it
> > installed, but the potential for breakage would be removed.
>
> Another idea I had today is to have two packages, daemontools and
> daemontools-init, which would be identical, apart from the fact that
> only the second of these would satisfy virtual/service-manager.

See below.

> I can't help feeling that maybe portage has become too complicated.

See above.

Actually, this has little to do with portage, which s doing exactly what
you told it to do - remove all unnecessary/unwanted packages. The problem
is in your configuration that tells portage that openrc is not needed. If
you want a simple, clean and reasonably permanent solution that doesn't
involve putting openrc in @world, copy the virtual to your local overlay
and remove the daemontools dependency.

--
Neil Bothwick

Bus: (n.) a connector you plug money into, something like a slot machine.