On Wednesday, 4 August 2021 21:24:31 BST antlists wrote:
> On 21/06/2021 16:17, Michael wrote:
> > Have you tried using a Display Manager?  Some of my systems won't work
> > with
> > Wayland, but I haven't spent time to find out why all I get with them is a
> > black screen.
>
> I've had that on a couple of occasions, now, and I just thought I'd post
> this in case anybody else hits it and wants to find the solution.
>
> The first half of the fix is to ssh into the machine from somewhere else
> (or if you're lucky and <ctrl>-<alt>-Fn is working, switch to a
> different tty) and kill kwin or whatever. Basically kill whatever it
> takes to get back to a tty. (This assumes you're not running a
> greeter/graphical login.)
>
> Then you should see a bunch of error messages etc. I'm not aware of any
> way to get them logged, which would make life easier.
>
> And they should tell you what's wrong, like in my case two different
> problems on two different occasions - once I was missing the compositor,
> once my video drivers weren't loaded.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

I've noticed login out of Wayland ends up with a number of KDE apps crashing,
rather than exiting gracefully.  I think kwin is one of them, as well as
KDEPIM related apps, perhaps others too.

Wayland is much more stable today than a year ago, but I think as far as
Plasma is concerned it's not yet ready for production time.