On 2021.09.06 10:33, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
Hi there,

I just tried to upgrade a older installation via binary packages and this broke my system. After around 25 packages of almost 300 it stopped with error
and failing packages.

$ emerge
Failed to validate a sane '/dev'.
bash process substitution doesn't work; this may be an indication of a broken
'/dev/fd'.
$ ls -l /dev/fd/
insgesamt 0
lrwx------ 1 root root 64  6. Sep 14:18 0 -> /dev/pts/0
lrwx------ 1 root root 64  6. Sep 14:18 1 -> /dev/pts/0
lrwx------ 1 root root 64  6. Sep 14:18 2 -> /dev/pts/0
lr-x------ 1 root root 64  6. Sep 14:18 3 -> /proc/27261/fd

--> looks allright, but:

$ bash
bash: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.33' not found (required by /lib64/
libreadline.so.8)

--> system broken(!), cannot start any shell anymore, cannot install anything anymore and it's obvious that the system is bricked after reboot or even when
the ssh session I'm logged in is closed.

It seems like as if sys-libs/readline-8.1_p1-r1-1:0/8::gentoo is installed *before* installing a suitable glibc, breaking any binary that has the useflag
readline (including bash).

Two questions:
How do I get out of this mess?
Why does portage not work in correct package order? Portage bug?
It might help if you stated which version of packages you currently have installed - specifically glibc.

As for recovery, you most likely need to boot to a live image (CD or USB) then chroot into the existing system. I'm only guessing as to what is the minimal list of files you will need to replace, but I'd see if you can find or create a binary package of the latest glibc and then install or unpack that to your system.

As to whether this might be a bug in portage, I'd say you need to provide more details about exactly what you did. What emerge line, what you mean by installation via binary packages, and where you got those binary packages.

If you do still have a running shell, does emerge still run at all?