On 2021-09-26, Ionen Wolkens <io...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Almost all ebuilds using ./configure support reading EXTRA_ECONF to
> pass additional arguments (done automatically through econf wrapper).

Yep, that works for the slrn ebuild.

> e.g. EXTRA_ECONF="--enable-inews" could be added through package.env[1]

If I need to keep that flag, that's what I'll do.

> [...]
>
> If you think it's an important option (haven't checked what it's
> about), could also fill a bug to get it added / supported for
> the long term.

Not only is NNTP getting pretty obscure and obsolete. Needing an NNTP
client to use inews instead of NNTP for posting, is even more obscure
and obsolete. I think EXTRA_ECONF is plenty good enough unless
somebody is aware of any other gentoo packages that could take
advantage of an "inews" USE flag...

--
Grant