SMR drive prices are hopefully dropping.  A couple of months ago I bought a
couple of used Hitachi 4 GB drives, for my raid setup.  Being raid I got
recertified drives on ebay.  They were about $65, up from about $50 for the
same drives a couple of years ago.  Larger new drives are hopefully coming down
(I'd still like to have proper backup when I can afford it)

RE: the SATA power connection change, it's stupid but easy to fix.  Just cut
the orange wire going to the drive power connector.  I don't think anyone uses
3.3V on hard drives (the orange wire), and letting it float works with the
rather damaged change to the spec.  Of course, only do this on the drive
connectors.  Doesn't cause a problem on older drives.  Alternately, you can use
a "Molex" to sata power connector, since the 4 pin Molex connectors don't have
a 3.3V line the adapters always leave it unconnected.  Might be preferable if
your' system has some of the older connectors and you are nervous about cutting
wires though in the case of the drives it's absolutely OK.  As these drive
power connector are usually daisy chained it's best to cut the orange wire on
all the SATA power connectors.

--"Fascism begins the moment a ruling class, fearing the people may use their
political democracy to gain economic democracy, begins to destroy political
democracy in order to retain its power of exploitation and special privilege."
Tommy Douglas

Oct 5, 2021, 17:32 by rdalek1...@gmail.com: