On Tue, 2021-11-30 at 09:18 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
> A little background for the curious, and I'll just try to stick to the
> factual narrative and what the main opinions are:

Thank you for a good, objective breakdown.

Gentoo is in an awkward position here: as was discussed in the bug, it
isn't simply a matter of setting libpng[-apng] by default, letting
Mozilla bundle their own libpng, and moving on with life.  Other
programs on Gentoo systems, built against libpng over the years with
apng support, will suddenly *not* have it, and this situation could
cause problems and data loss for users.

I'm not a (Gentoo) dev, and I don't have strong feelings either way,
but it is an unenviable position to be in.  Regardless, I have trust
that things will be resolved reasonably in the end.