If you have a Gentoo machine running on Linode, take care to note that
the eudev => udev changeover requires some manual intervention before
the next reboot.

You will need to DISABLE the network autoconfiguration option for the
VM, and edit /etc/conf.d/net to specify the new, 'predictable' network
interface name.  This is because Linode's network autoconfigurator is
hard-coded to generate a configuration using the traditional style of
network interface names, eg. eth0

Alternatively, you can make whatever changes are required to have the
system enumerate the network interfaces with the old style names.

If you do neither of those things, you will need to use the rescue
console in order to log into the machine and fix your network
configuration, as the system will not be able to bring up the network
on its next boot.  Ask me how I learned this.