Am Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 04:33:32PM -0500 schrieb Michael Orlitzky:
> On Mon, 2021-12-13 at 22:19 +0100, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> >
> > For the record: The checks in run-crons that I referred to earlier are
> > actually more for those cases in which the machine was powered off for a
> > while in order to restore cron completeness as early as possible after boot.
> >

> The run-crons quackery has been causing problems since 2004:
>
>   https://bugs.gentoo.org/69777
>
> One-liners with run-parts (NOT run-crons) are a lot more predictable.

Well I *could* disable run-crons altogether and add entries to fcron’s own
crontab which would run those scripts in /etc/cron.{hourly,daily,...}
instead.

However, I like predictable times at which those jobs will run. Especially
if one of them is a zfs scrub; the NAS is powered down for weeks, sometimes
months. And when I power it up, it’s for a reason. And that reason usually
is not a scrub, which—at the current zfs fill level—takes 10½ hours.

--
Grüße | Greetings | Qapla’
Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.

A preposition is something you should never end a sentence with.