On 12/31/21 11:28, caveman رَجُلُ الْكَهْفِ 穴居人 wrote:
i thought to re-compile my kernel with some new options.  so i did:
sudo genkernel --menuconfig all
new kernel came, and was used normally as one would expect across reboots.
I suspect you omit certain details, such as running grub-mkconfig or otherwise updating your grub (or other bootloader) configuration prior to the first reboot.
then i periodically update the system by:
sudo emerge -avDuNt --quiet-build=y --keep-going=y @world
problem is:  when the gentoo-source kernel gets updated by emerge, it does not
use my genkernel's new configs.

questions:
   1. What's going on?
   2. How to fix it?
Unless I'm missing something about what you are doing, simply emerging a new gentoo-kernel version does nothing except install the sources, it doesn't build the new kernel.  You would still need to run genkernel again for that new version.