Holly Bostick wrote:

>the 'help' screen you're talking about is part of the kernel. Removing
>it doesn't remove internal help, like the kernel help, or man and info
>pages-- those are *required*, and options subject to USE flags are
>*optional*.
>
>But if it will help, I don't use the "doc" flag either:
>
> [ebuild  NS   ]               sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.14  -build
>-doc +symlink (-ultra1) 38,399 kB
>
>And my kernel help works fine.
>
>And what you're talking about w.r.t the overriding of USE flags is not
>'a new thing' (though it may be new to you :-) ), it's a Portage feature.

It is new to me, I had to create it.

>You can create a file, called /etc/portage/package.use, which contains
>such overrides; here's a snippet of mine:
><snip>
>dev-java/blackdown-jdk mozilla
>dev-java/sun-jre-bin mozilla

Thanks for the examples.  *That* helps me a lot.  Reading man pages
without examples does very little if anything at all for me.  I learn by
doing or seeing examples and understanding how they work and what they mean.

For those that need to see it in use like me, I added this to my
/etc/portage/package.use file:

>sys-kernel/gentoo-sources      -doc

I then emerged gentoo-sources which was trying to pull in xmlto in the
first place.  It installed with no errors and xmlto is no longer needed.

Thanks for the help guys, and Holly.  I assume Holly is the only lady in
the house.  o_O

Dale

--
To err is human, I'm most certainly human.