On Sat, 5 Feb 2022 09:20:41 +0100, Arve Barsnes wrote:

> > You're using ~amd64 sources, which means they update frequently. I
> > found this annoying so I only use the stable sources, even on ~amd64
> > systems to keep updates to a reasonable level while ensuring I don't
> > miss important updates. I added this to package.accept_keywords
> >
> > sys-kernel/gentoo-sources -~amd64
> > sys-kernel/linux-headers -~amd64
> >
> > Having said that, it wants to install a new kernel this morning :-/
>
> If you want a bit more control, I'd just mask it completely in
> /etc/portage/package.mask/ and then unmask whatever version you want
> to install in /etc/portage/package.unmask

Surely, if you do that, the virtual will just pull in another source
package when the version you have unmasked it dropped from the tree?

I don't want that much control, because that also carries the
responsibility of ensuring I am not running a kernel with a security
flaw. Just sticking to stable sources give infrequent, but important,
updates.

--
Neil Bothwick

Snacktrek, n.:
 The peculiar habit, when searching for a snack, of constantly
 returning to the refrigerator in hopes that something new will have
 materialized.